Monday 21 December 2009

Xmas In The Name of... (The success story) #ratm4xmas

YYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RATM RATM RATM!!!!!!! XMAS NO.1!!!!!! WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!
This was my first tweet as Joe McElderry song was announced as 2009 Xmas number 2.

After all the tweeting and retweeting and trying all I could to spread the word, the (initially) Facebook campaign to bring down the 'curse of the X Factor Xmas No.1' has been lifted. A great moment in music and the first time I've been excited over the charts since I was in my early teens!

I do feel that this tweet is oh so very true...
Would RATM be no1 without Twitter? I think not. Well done Twitter! - @Oscli
Twitter played a HUGE part in this campaign, and provided a much need voice (for both sides of the 'battle')

But what got to me was the people that were attacking the idea of getting RATM to number 1:


"Both artists are under the Sony label so they are getting the money either way"

NOT THE POINT!! I, like many if not most/all, didn't buy the RATM single to try and get at the record company! Where the money ends up didn't matter! (Except for the money that RATM are donating to Shelter)


"Joe deserves the No.1 / He's worked so hard"

What has he done to deserve a free pass to a No.1 single?! Won a glorified karaoke competition!! True music artists take years to establish themselves and even then have difficulty breaking into the business.


"The RATM song isn't even xmasy"

And 'The Climb' is?!


"The song says 'Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me' but that's exactly what they are doing"

Oh dear, oh dear! But then again, 'The Climb' includes the line 'Always going to be an uphill battle, Sometimes I'm gonna to have to lose' ... and look how that turned out.


"Yeah they can play their instruments, but they can't sing"

One of my favourites... no comment needed


This whole campaign wasn't aimed at Joe. It would've happened no matter who won. It was about people standing up and showing Simon Cowell and the X Factor that people will buy what they want and not just what is shoved down their throats by the media.

To quote Tom Morello:
Changing the charts or the world: together we can't be stopped

Merry Xmas all

M


No comments:

Post a Comment